Antimicrobial Protection: Treatment inherent in (yarn treated prior to being woven) or applied to fabric which destroys microbes, prevents their development, or inhibits their pathogenic action. Used in cubicle curtains in medical settings.

Austrian Shade: A fabric window covering with soft draping scallops which run the length of the shade. They move up and down by a series of cords threaded through rings.

Balloon Shades: Fabric shades with deep inverted pleats that fall into airy, rounded poufs at the bottom.

Banding: strips of fabric sewn to the edge of drapery and curtains.

Blackout Drapery or Shade: drapery or shade made with room darkening fabric. 2-pass and 3-pass

Bias: This term refers to the grain in fabric. The bias grain runs diagonally at a 45 degree angle to the straight grain and tends to stretch when pulled.

Blinds: Blinds made of metal or wooden slats, attached to cloth tape, and worked by a cord on a pulley system, and available in many widths, colors, and sizes. Blinds provide excellent light control while allowing some view to the outside.

Box Pleats: Deep, inverted, tailored pleats which are flat on the right side of the drapery to create a classical boxy look.

Brackets: hardware that secures track, poles or boards to the window or wall

Cafe Curtains: A window treatment that covers only the bottom half of a window. A cafe rod is most often hung at the halfway point of the window, at sash level.

Cascades: Side panels, usually pleated, which flank swags. They can be long or short.

Casing: A tunnel of fabric created by stitching parallel seam on folded fabric. A curtain rod is threaded through the casing. Also Rod Pocket.

C.O.M: refers to the use of a customerís own material in the fabrication of custom drapery and curtains

Combination Rods: Two or three drapery rods sharing one set of brackets. They are used when installing draperies with sheers, or to create any layered look.

Cornice: A decorative wooden, fabric, or foam header placed above a window to conceal drapery hardware.

Curtain: Usually unlined, a curtain is a panel of hemmed fabric hung from a rod at the top of a window. Panels can be floor length or end at the windowsill.

Cut: See Width

Drapability: the ability of a fabric to hang in pleasing folds
Draw Draperies: Draperies which hang from a traverse rod and can be drawn to open or closed over the window by means of a cording system.

Double Fullness: Using fabric to create draperies that is twice the measured width of the window or curtain rod. See also fullness; triple fullness.

Draping: A technique of looping and securing fabric in graceful curves and folds.

Facing: The strip of fabric that is sewn to the raw edge of a fabric and folded back to the wrong side.

Finial: A decorative piece attached to the ends of drapery rods. Usually made of wood or metal and can be many sizes and shapes.

Finish: Product applied to fabric as a protection against water marks, fading and bacteria (anti-microbial).

Fringe: A decorative trim sewn onto the edges and hems of curtain panels and rugs. Also often used to decorate pillows and lampshades.

Fullness: Refers to the width of fabric in relation to width of curtain rod or window. Most window treatments are two to three times fullness.

Hard Goods: Horizontal and vertical blinds, mini-blinds, shades

Header: The top edge of a rod-pocket curtain that forms a ruffle when the curtain is on the rod.

Jabot: Piece of fabric, long or short, which drape down on either side of a swag or valance, often pleated and tapered. The cut length includes the length of the window treatment as well as the extra amount needed for headers and hems.

Length: For draperies, a measure from top of rod to the floor or the carpet; or to window sill. The cut length includes the length of the window treatment as well as the extra amount needed for headers and hems.

Lining: Fabric used as a backing for drapery panels. Lining can provide body and fullness, light control, and privacy. Often lining fabrics are decorative and chosen to be a pleasing contrast to the drapery fabric.

Nap: A fabric with a texture or design that runs on one direction such as corduroy and velvet. A fabric with a nap will often look different when viewed from various directions. When using a fabric with a nap, all pieces must be cut and sewn together so the nap runs in only one direction.

Overlap: Refers to the size of the area that the right panel of the drapery will overlap the left panel when the draperies are completely closed. The purpose of the overlap is to ensure that the drapery panels meet properly, and that there is no separation between the two sides when the draperies are drawn. Fabricare uses a standard 3” overlap (3” on the left panel and 3” on the right panel), although the overlap can be any appropriate size.

Panel: A single unit of drapery comprising of one or more widths or cuts

Projection: The distance from the front of the drapery rod to the wall on which it is mounted.

Railroading: Refers to using fabric horizontally (with selvages at top and bottom – the length) instead of vertically (with selvages along the sides – the width). Fabric without a nap or a directional design can be railroaded easily. Used to avoid seams in long lengths of fabric or to take advantage of a horizontal design.

Repeat: How often the pattern is duplicated at intervals down the fabric or wallcovering. One repeat is one full pattern.

Return: A way to cleanly finish the top of a window treatment by enclosing the hardware and the top of the drapery. A return is measured from the front of the rod to the wall. Fabricare uses a standard 3” return. By adding 3” to the measurement of each panel, the last pleat of the drapery will fall at the end of the rod, leaving the 3” return to turn the corner and end at the wall.

Right Side: The printed side of the fabric that is used as the finished side of an item. The right side generally has the most color and the most finished look to it.

Rings: Rings of wood or plastic are hooked or sewn to the top edge of a curtain and the curtain rod is then threaded through these rings.

Rod Pocket Curtains: A curtain with a stitched pocket at the top and/or bottom of the curtain

Roller Shades: Shades made of vinyl or fabric attached to spring rollers, mounted to the inside window casing or the window frame.

Roman Shades: Drawn up from the bottom by means of cords and rings, these shades create horizontal folds when raised. A roman shade panel is flat when lowered and covers the window glass completely.

Sheer: A drapery panel made of lightweight transparent or translucent fabric, sometimes used underneath an outer drapery.

Soft Goods: Draperies, Cubicle Curtains, Shower Curtains, Sheers

Stackback, Stacking, Stacking Space: The area of the wall where drapery comes to rest when it is opened and the window is exposed. Draperies are sometimes installed so that the stackback clears the window frame, allowing an unobstructed view.

Stationary Side Panel: A unit of decorative drapery which will not move. It is used to finish a window treatment, to balance the room, or to hide a portion of the wall. Side panels also serve to 'soften' a window that has been treated with a horizontal blind or shades.

Straight Grain: The lengthwise threads of the fabric, running parallel to the selvages.

Swag: One or more pieces of fabric draped over a rod, typically used at the top of a window treatment with jabots. Also known as a festoon.

Tab-Top Curtains: Curtains with fabric bands attached to the top into which a decorative curtain rod is inserted.

Tiebacks: Fabric bands, cords, or other material used to shape a curtain or drape and/or to hold them back from the window. May be secured to wall.

Traverse Rod: Adjustable drapery rods that open and close the window treatment by pulling a cord.

Trim: Decorative cording, braids, or fringes applied to the edges or hems of draperies, to match or contrast the panel fabric.

Triple Fullness: A fabric panel that is three times the width of the window. Often sheers and lightweight curtains are made in triple fullness.

Valance: A window treatment that covers the top of the window and the drapery hardware. A valance is made of matching or contrasting fabric, often with a casing at the top, and gathered onto a curtain rod. .

Velcro: Hook and loop tape used for attaching fabric to a mounting board. Sometimes used for lightweight fabrics and valances.

Width: One (1) piece of fabric, may be any length, which can be sewn to another piece of fabric

Window Scarf: A long piece of fabric casually draped over a pole or rod at the top of a window like a valance.

Wrong Side: The “back” or “less finished” side of the fabric. May be a different color, have stray threads or a more rough look to it.